Friday, September 21, 2012

Construction Zone

It's been a little over a week since I posted. I've been really busy with some house craziness. This may end up being a long story. Sorry about that!

It all started last Friday. Our ac unit has been leaking all summer. I've been putting pans under it and towels. It's been staying dry, except the first few days when I didn't realize it was leaking. But the carpet smelled mildewy and the floor felt weak over there so when I found some random peel and stick tiles I decided to pull up the carpet in that corner and put the tiles down. We have been planning on redoing the floor for  a few months anyways. Buying one box at a time so I figured we wouldn't have to deal with the funny corner for long. When I pulled up the carpet this is what I found.



A hole in my floor and mold on the floor and up the wall. I was in shock, I didn't think that the couple of days of water could do this.

Let me take a step back. We are buying this house from my Twoey, Lou. She took care of the lady who lived here and when she passed; the lady left every thing to Lou. Fast forward about 4 years and we decide we're done with renting in the city and want to buy a house. We look in the city but can't find anything we love, in  the school districts we want or close enough to my job. It just wasn't meshing. We would toy with the idea of moving here almost every year, but turn it down for various reasons. We decided to look for jobs up here and go from there. Almost right away my husband got his job. The job he still has and loves so much. It seemed perfect. Close to my family, small town, good schools. Lou offered to let us rent the house. We could either rent it for years and then find a house we liked better or rent to own it, once we reached a set price we would own the house. That's the option we took, we will have our house paid off in about 10 years. Then we can either tear this place down and put one we like better up or sell or whatever we want in 10 years. It was win-win for everyone.

When we first went to move in I hated the paint and carpet. I wanted to tear it up, repaint and make it my own. My parents thought that was silly, a waste of money if we were just going to tear this house down and put up one of our own in a few years. Although the soonest we could see doing it was 5 but still they reasoned, why waste the money. I can be very impractical at times, I make emotional decisions. So I was trying very hard to be practical about all of this. My son was only 2 1/2 at the time, surely he would spill , color on the walls and such so why not have it be on a carpet I didn't care about and walls that I disliked?

I wish now I would have just done it then, I  wouldn't be in the mess I am now. We didn't have an inspection on the house. I didn't think it was necessary, neither did my parents so this mold issue was totally unknown.

 The whole space ran about 5 1/2 by 6 feet. Up the walls and down the into the insulation. This was more than a one summer kind of deal. My brother lived here before me and confirmed that the ac leaked for him too. So who knows how long this has been happening.


 What the my floors look like without floors.
 That's about how high up the wall the mold went. It went a little further down.



 I'm trying to be thankful for this. At least we caught it now and the mold didn't spread everywhere. My parents have been so great, paying for the repairs and new floor. I'm getting rid of the old carpet everywhere but the bedrooms (for now) and I am painting! They have been so great about it all, despite their separation. And I've hardly sat down all week. From running to stores, to tearing up carpet and stripping paint, repairing holes in the wall and prepping the floor.

There has been some bad to it, like my front porch looks awful. My entertainment center had some mold too so out it goes. We will get it all to the dump once we're done with this so we only have to do it once. I've eaten like crap. With all the running around and the fact that my couches are in my kitchen right now I've eaten out alot. I've let this be an excuse to drink tons of soda. It's hard to stop. I didn't weigh in  yesterday. I honestly can't handle it right now. I'm just trying to reign myself in and stop now. It's only been a week, give or take a few days, of really bad eating. I don't want it to be come 2 then a month then all my weight is back.

I can't put my new floor in until Wednesday when I get back from work. So my house gets to stay in this mini chaos for a little longer. But I'm over the excuses, I can cook at home. I have a crock pot so I don't have to worry about my couches catching on fire. I can make sandwiches, or eat fruit and veggies. I have choices that don't consist of "Do you want to super-size that?" And I need to stop seeing the obstacles in front of me as reasons for eating like crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment